Friday, October 19, 2018

Chaplain - Chapter 1: A Good Contact

We had never met, but when I stepped inside the diner, I suspected the man in the corner booth was the man I had come to meet.
He was an older gentleman, neatly groomed, and wearing a black golf shirt with “chaplain” embroidered in yellow on the left breast. He recognized me immediately and waved me over. For the first 20 minutes, the conversation was predictable enough. 

I’m a pastor, starting a new church in an exploding suburban development, and I had been referred to “Chaplain Frank” by the local fire chief. The week before, I had contacted the chief to see if his department would participate in a church-sponsored event honoring first responders. The chief agreed, and dispatched Frank to be the liaison.

Frank was warm and precise in his comments, giving me helpful advice about fire department culture and how to approach such an event. When he was done, we began to share about our backgrounds and interests in ministry.

Frank was a retired Air Force Pilot, a successful businessman, and devoted Anglican lay leader. He was helping start a new church, too, and had lately gotten involved as a first responder chaplain, providing comfort and counsel to local fire fighters, police, and EMS personnel.

It was a good meeting, but nothing out of the ordinary. Simply another good contact in the community.

A week later, Frank wanted to meet again. We talked about the First Responders event for a few minutes, but then his demeanor got more serious.

“Jim, after we me the first time, I felt a nudge. And over the years, I’ve learned to follow my nudges. Have you ever considered becoming a chaplain?”

“Not really.”

“Well, I think you should consider it. I can’t put my finger on it, but talking with you last week, I got the sense you might be good at it. And it’s a powerful ministry.”

I was immediately hesitant.

“I don’t know. I’m already so busy with the new church...”

“I hear that. And I understand that you can’t do everything people,ask you to. I’m just putting the idea into your head.”

“So what exactly does a first responder chaplain do?”

“It’s simple. When there’s a fire, or an accident, or a shooting, or whatever. You get a call, and you show up on the scene. And you’re a pastor. You know what to do.”

“Is that all? Go be a pastoral presence when tragedy strikes?”

“It’s also about building relationships. Did you know that many fire fighters, and most police officers, have no faith community they belong to? When they reach a crisis point because of what they see day in and out, they have little support to turn to beyond their families and each other.”

“So a chaplain might be their only connection to God?”

“Precisely. Just give it a thought. I’m going to a breakfast meeting for the chaplains group downtown next Tuesday. Join me if you want to get a better idea of what this is all about.”

I left the diner feeling flattered, but mostly certain I would not become a chaplain. I did value having a contact with Frank, however, and decided I would go the breakfast with him. That’s when everything began to turn itself upside down.




No comments:

Post a Comment